Blog for Jackie Sue while at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. UPDATED. This blog now covers her progress after her mini-allo MUD transplant. Her transplant was the first one to be performed by the Mayo Clinic.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday +37 (11:45 AM) Muffin Tops and Unlimited Calls

We just returned from the hospital. Jackie is doing well this morning. I think the CMV virus was depressing her blood counts. The anit-viral IV meds are still suppressing them but overall they are on the rise again. Her RBC (Hgl) is 10.0. Her WBC count is 3.5. Her ANC (absolute neutrophil count) is 1.8. And her platelets are 67. These are all up substantially from yesterday.

It is amazing how closely tied her Hgl count is tied to energy level. I told her this morning that I felt her Hgl count would be much higher today. I could tell by her walking speed that whe had more energy. As I've said before (and the doctor reconfirmed this morning) once the Hgl count gets into the 12s she will feel normal again.

OK, OK. as you obviously know by now this Starbucks thing is driving me nuts. About every other day I go over for my Grande-Mocha-Frapp-and-blueberry-muffin-for-$6 -fix. Each time I have to wait in a long line to watch people pay $4-$5 for a cup of coffee. Each time I spend my wait trying to determine how to make their system better. In other words, if I were the competitor next door how would I get them to come to my coffee shop instead of Starbucks. I have two words.


Are you listening?


Yes, I am!


Ok, Muffin Tops


Now, I cannot take credit for this original thought. I have to give that to the folks at the Seinfeld TV show. If I were operating a coffee shop next door I would just sell just the muffin tops. Forget the stumps. Muffin tops really are the best part. For $1.95 I would give my customers TWO muffin tops. I think I would make my motto, "No stumps, never has been, never will".

I would also change my drink sizes to small, medium, and large. I never order a "Venti" (the really big size). Why? Because I'm afraid I'll screw up the word "Venti". I mean, really, how SHOULD it be pronounced ? Grande I can handle. I thought I was alone in my fear. I even considered consulting with one of the speech pathologists here at the Mayo Clinic. Perhaps I should set up an appointment with the Psych Department so they can help me get through my angst? In the end, I just Googled "pronounce: Venti" (I suggest you give it a try). It seems 11,700 people have the same problem and fear. So at my competing coffee shop my sizes would simply be small, medium, and large. I think I would sell more large drinks this way.

Ok...back to Jackie. I think she is feeling well enough to enjoy unlimited phone calls. So feel free to call her anytime. The only caveat would be that she goes to bed early a lot of times. By the end of the day she is tired. If you could limit calls to before 8:00 PM CDT I think it will be fine.

If she feels up to it today I might get her a Grande-Mocha-Frapp and muffin top over at the Starbucks. No Venti, no stumps.

Until Later,

Bruce and Jackie
From Rochester, MN

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Bruce, now think about this, You can`t have muffin tops without the bottoms,so now figure out how to make Cake bites out of the bottoms and you will be in business. We are so glad Jackie is doing this well and know its been hard on both of you,but I believe you two make a pretty good team so keep up the good work. Nan

11:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie: Great news!! EAT, EAT, AND THEN EAT SOME MORE. So glad you're feeling better. That makes us all feel better.

Bruce: I'm thinking you have toooooo much time on your hands. With Jackie feeling better, that makes mooooooore time on your hands, for someone who has known and worked for you as many years as I have, this can be a scary thing. Interesting but scary. Keep coming up with all your ideas they make everyone here laugh.

Rachel

1:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Bruce-
If you call it small, medium and large it's just another cup of coffee with foam on it. You gotta have a fancy name for six dollar coffee! How about:

Stingy (for small, nobody will buy that)

Bountiful (for medium, that sounds good)

Xtravagant! (for large, with the exclamation point)

This is fun! Let's hear from somebody else with names.

PS Jackie, we are glad you are feeling better. Obviously Bruce is, too.

6:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie it's wonderful to hear you are improving. What a journey you two have been on. We will continue to pray for you.

Love Mouse

7:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about:

sm-Try it
md-Like it
lg-Addicted to it !!

This last size would be my wife's starbucks "problem", I mean "choice".
-kb

9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home