Blog for Jackie Sue while at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. UPDATED. This blog now covers her progress after her mini-allo MUD transplant. Her transplant was the first one to be performed by the Mayo Clinic.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sunday +46 (Midnight) Actually +47 Now

This post is rather late. I got caught up watching old WWII movies on the TV and I'm just getting around to doing the daily post.

This morning I took the video camera to the hospital and spent some time shooting some video of the local area around the apartment. I put the video and pictures together as a small "music video". Most of you will probably be able to see it below. I finally learned how to embed the actual video into the blog. If you don't see the video box below it is because you don't have Shockwave installed. If that's the case, you will have to miss the video. A description of how to install a Shockwave plugin is beyond the scope of the blog. Sorry!



I was lucky to get any photos of Jackie. She complained the entire time that "no one wants to see me looking like this". I convinced her that everyone would like to see how well she is doing.

She began the morning with her regular back pain. As with many mornings it was very severe. I feel certain it must be due to some sort of electrolyte imbalance. She took a couple of pain pills and was fine. In fact, after returning from the hospital and after sleeping off some of the pain meds she said she felt as close to normal as anytime since the transplant.

The day was really warm here in Rochester. I think it got into the 90s today. It was very windy so it didn't seem as hot.

We were recalled to the hospital for an earlier-than-normal return visit. Jackie required another unit of magnesium. This is getting to be a regular occurrence. It seems about every 3 days she requires a unit. They seem to feel this is quite normal.

The doctor put us on a "No MD" schedule today. That means we will no longer be seeing the doctor or PA during our daily visits. She will receive her IV transfusion and talk to the nurses. Unless there is something unusual the doctor will not do the normal examination. This is in preparation for going to "Clinic Visit" status. Jackie would have been in Clinic Visit status long ago if not for the CMV problem.

Another CMV PCR test will be conducted tomorrow. With luck it will be negative and she will only require another week of Ganicyclovir.

Jackie's counts continue to remain stabile or improved. Her RBC (Hgl) count today improved to 9.5 from yesterday's 9.4. Her WBC count remained unchanged. Her platelet count improved to 122 from yesterday's 112. I was reading through the blogs yesterday and it is hard to believe that she went for months with platelet counts below 40!

Well, until later...

Bruce and Jackie
From Rochester, MN

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you know magnesium depletion,could mean other electolytes could possible be depleted. The Back and neck pain may be caused from muscle spasms due to the depleted elecrolytes. Hope they are checking them all. Just a thought MOM

1:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you know magnesium depletion,could mean other electolytes could possible be depleted. The Back and neck pain may be caused from muscle spasms due to the depleted elecrolytes. Hope they are checking them all. Just a thought MOM

1:04 AM

 
Blogger Jackie Sue We Love You said...

Wow! You're up late! Yes, all the electrolyte levels are checked everyday.

1:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chole is being a very good dog. She now stays each night at our house and only goes home to see Ronda and walk and on occassions when we go to walmart we leave her at home She is being walked atleast 2 times daily and feed 2 times daily. She is sleeping in back of the truck which is backed into our garage. We put her bed in and shut the tailgate . She sleeps til morning. Bobbie is doing better, no so scardy cat of her.

1:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie,
We think you look great!
Keep smiling-
Bruce
The film festival is here in two weeks-maybe you could do a documentary????
Thanks for sharing
Sandra and Dean

5:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie,
Seeing you looking so good makes all our hearts feel better. You look great. Let Bruce take more pictures of you. Bruce, we would like to see pictures of you too. We miss you greatly also. Thanks so much for the video, it's fantastic.

Rachel

7:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it is great to "see you". We thought you looked great. Reading the blog, I pictured things in my mind, but now I can see those things. Makes it more intresting. Still praying.

Mouse

7:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bird in my computer (Ala Flintstones) Cannot process the video so I'll have to wait until tomorrow at work to see you when I don't have dial up! Can't wait
Love Janees

8:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't get the video to work either. I'll keep working on it, maybe I can figure it out later.

Good to hear Jackie had a good day!
J

8:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce,
Thank you for the video. I am glad to see Jackie. She looks great. It brought a smile to my face to see my dear friend. I am also grateful that you are taking such good care of her. You are a trooper. We love you both a will be glad to see you later this summer.
LC

9:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruce, I got the video to work. You forgot to say you have to click on YouTUBE. (I was looking for PLAY, or ON..it's hard being computer challenged). I also downloaded Shockwave, as suggested, so now it's fine, and I am looking forward to more pictures.

It was fun seeing where you live, and the hospital where you spend so much time. And it was great seeing Jackie looking so good, with a big smile and cute short hair (still!) No wonder they call her the Poster Child of BMT.

Keep up the good work.

J

12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home